Tuesday, September 13, 2011

This is what awaited us...

  at "the Dish" this morning!!!!!!  Ah!!!!!  Instead of running, we watched this tarantula walk with us on our path for a good 10-15 minutes.  (The Dish is a popular place to walk in Palo Alto.  We drive down there and meet up with friends about once a week.  It is an open space preserve, which means, "walk at your own risk"  they have signs warning you of coyotes and mountain lions, and thankfully we have never seen any of those, but this is coming a little too close for comfort. )  Madeline was both scared and intrigued at the same time, but she ended up showing the spider her teddy bear, so I guess the coin landed on the "this is a good spider" side. Go figure.  I was fine to walk beside it, it was actually really interesting; the way two legs were synchronized at a time.  And we just finished reading Charlotte's Web!  So it was perfect!  And that's one of the things I love the most about being a stay at home mom is that we can sit as long as we want and watch spiders, or construction trucks, or whatever we want.  I always seem to digress to why I love being a stay at home mom.  Start talking about spiders, of course I end up talking about being a stay at home mom!  Duh!  Anyway, our list of wild animals we've seen at the dish includes: deer, ground squirrels, a blue heron,  Adam has seen a rattlesnake, lizards, and now a tarantula.  We talked about bringing it home to play a trick on daddy, but we decided not to when neither one of us wanted to pick it up!

2 comments:

Sally said...

If I remember correctly, Charlotte was a small, harmless house spider, not a large, hairy maneater, but I'm so glad you were looking on the bright side of that meeting!

jsfeatherstone said...

Hey Diana! I was just cruisin through your blog today and loving it. Joseph is an angel. I can tell from the pics that he is the sweetest baby! I can't believe how long and pretty Madeline's hair is. I loved the post about bread. It makes me want to go make it! I haven't made it in the longest time. We think of you guys a lot!