Monday, March 22, 2010

Skeletons in the Closet

One of my best kept secrets is that I was the chairwoman of the college republicans at BYU. It's not a secret because I am not necessarily a republican, but because it reveals the true nature of the nerdy depths to which I have fallen in my life. And also because I hardly know anything about politics, which makes it even funnier. No really, I met a lot of great people and had a lot of fun while being in CR's at BYU, so I can't be too ashamed. But one of my most embarrassing stories comes from that time (actually many do, but anyway...). Adam thinks this story is priceless, and maybe it can't fully be explained over a blog, but I'll try.
When I was the CR president, I worked on a BYU presidential campaign for two girls, Rachel and Aubrey (or Audrey? Anyway, she was the granddaughter of Elder Perry). Me and about 15 other students all worked really hard on their campaign for weeks. I always felt like they were suspicious of my loyalty because I couldn't endorse them as candidates in the CR Club (those were just the rules, I didn't make them), and also I crushed one of their main ideas, which I don't think went over well, anyway, there was kind of a weird vibe there from day 1.
When the final day of the campaign arrived, the whole campaign team, went up on stage to hear the results...we lost! Of course we were all disappointed. We were all hugging and some were crying. In a completely awkward moment, I had meant to say "good job" or "you did your best" or something, anything like that, but instead I leaned in close and whispered... "Congratulations..."

Am I a total idiot? Congratulations for what? Losing?! "Congratulations for LOSING" is basically what I said, and not immediately catching my mistake (until years later) I pulled back and smiled and Rachel/Aubrey both pulled back and gave me this awkward half-grin with this "thanks?"/ "way to rub it in, jerk!" Look on their faces. And then what do you say? I never followed it up, I just walked away.

We have since all graduated and I have never spoken to them since, but I have relived this moment sooooooo many times! Gosh- why couldn't I have just said "good try" or "you guys should have won"? When I told Adam this story the first time, I think he was almost cried from laughing so hard, and every now and then when the moment is right we'll lean over and whisper in the other's ear... "Congratulations..."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

f-u-n-n-y. too much! Are you going to Utah for General Conference?

Travis and Rachel said...

You are the best!! I love these stories!

Becca said...

lol! I literally laughed out loud when I read this!

Sarah Heder said...

Now THAT'S funny! I think someone should find these girls and let them read this post. And I never knew about the fact that you were into this stuff at BYU. You kept your secret hidden well.