I love Yoga. I just started taking a class at BYU at 6 a.m. which means that I have to get up by 5:30 a.m. to feed the babe, put her back down, get dressed, brush my teeth and out the door and to the school by 6. I have to admit I am very proud of myself. Not only has it helped me to start exercising with more regularity, mainly it has helped me to get up and out of the house so that I can start the day off right (and not sleep in until 9:30-- it was good while it lasted).
I have come a far way from my undergrad days when I thought taking a ballet class at 7 a.m. was a good idea. I remember I used to sleep in my leotard and tights so that I would wake up at 6:50, throw on a coat and shoes, and run across campus to the RB. I was usually late. Big suprise. That and the teacher's ever scodling to "square my hips" didn't leave me with the best impression of ballet. What does "square your hips" mean anyway??? My hips aren't square. Thanks to lots of choco-chips, my hips are quite round. By the end of the semester, I learned that to square your hips, you were supposed to pretend you were squeezing a grape inbetween your buttocks. Gross! And in short- I ended up not pursuing a dancing career.
The only unfortunate thing about the 6 a.m. Yoga class is that I really don't like the teacher. I don't know if she's ever taught yoga before, but it sure doesn't seem like it. So I left the first class with a terrible crick in my neck (which SHOULD NOT happen in yoga) which stayed all day and into the next day; and right as we were starting Shavasanah (sp?) (the "nap" where you're supposed to be at the most relaxed stage) some student janitor flipped on the vacuum cleaner right outside the door and vacuumed for almost the entier time!! I guess that's what you get for taking an exercise class at BYU.
Oh well, as a true Yogi would say "I am going to 'embrace the change'" and just be thankful for the opportunity to do some yoga in the morning and start my day off right. Here's to new years resolutions!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Good girl getting up and out of the house. I did the 7am ballet class too, but I never slept in my tights and leotard. Crazy girl.
Your yoga teacher should be telling you that if you are feeling any strain in your neck in a pose, you should just relax your head down. Instead of looking up at your hand, look down at the floor.
My teacher goes to great lengths to talk about child's pose. It is a pose of honor. When you feel strained or tired, you should honor your body by taking a rest in childs pose. I usually end up in childs pose for 10 minutes of my class. There is no shame in child's pose, only honor.
I love that you slept in your leotard & tights! That is awesome! I am impressed that you are up that early... if my kids open their eyes before 7 I tell them it is too early. :)
Go you for getting up so early and exercising! I wish I had something cool to say about Yoga, but I've never taken a class. But yeah you!
Post a Comment